Future residents will be given an in-person orientation describing all the benefits the LEED GOLD certification will bring to the Hollenbeck Terrace Apartments. This personal tour will take place and will describe how our residents and the community will benefit from the LEED GOLD certification.
What is LEED for Homes?
LEED for Homes is a national, voluntary, rating system administered by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). USGBC is a non-profit that promotes the design and construction of high performance greenbuildings and encourages the adoption of sustainable practices. LEED-certified homes are more durable, use less energy and water and provide improved indoor air quality resulting in reduced utility bills and increased occupant comfort.
For a project to earn LEED for Homes certification, it must meet requirements in eight different environmental qualities:
1. Sustainable Sites
2. Water Efficiency
3. Energy & Atmosphere
4. Materials & Resources
5. Indoor Environmental Quality
6. Locations and Linkages
7. Awareness and Education
8. Innovation in Design
For more information on LEED for Homes and the USGBC see http://www.usgbc.org/leed
Hollenbeck Terrace Apartments is a LEED-certified project developed by AMCAL. It is targeting LEED-Gold certification. Some of the green features unique to the project are:
- Building located near plenty of public transportation options.
- Preferred parking provided for low-emitting vehicles.
- Very high density of units per acre.
- Located across from a large park with easy access for tenants.
- Very high-efficiency irrigation system.
- High-efficiency plumbing fixtures.
- 24% reduction in energy savings compared with Title-24 2008.
- High-efficacy lighting throughout the units.
- Re-use of existing building structure.
- 75% of construction waste was diverted from landfills (% is pending. Might be more)
- ENERGY STAR appliances installed.
- Low-emitting paints and flooring.